Paint dries pretty fast, but paint takes days/weeks/months to fully harden. I'm always very cautious when working with parts I've just recently painted, and even though I've added the baking process to my workflow, it still doesn't make items less susceptible to being damaged during installation. I was particularly careful when putting on the freshly painted foot-pegs and gear/brake levers. They are so perfect straight out of the oven but it only takes a careless wrench/spanner to ruin that. Natasha isn't perfect; how can a thirty-one year old bike be? But with so much restoration going on it's always nice to aim for perfection even though attaining it is unlikely. I think it would be better to say I am aiming for flawlessness, rather than perfection. Which is just one shade of crazy less.
Because I have removed the passenger foot pegs and their associated mounting plates, the brackets for the rider's foot-pegs needed some spacer washers to position them as they were before. This didn't matter on the rear brake foot-peg, but the gear change one would have not worked without them: you wouldn't have been able to downshift as the lever would collide with the gear change shaft. I always buy stainless steel parts where I can; the additional cost is justified with the knowledge that they are not going to rust for the next thirty years.
I had to review my original photos to remember exactly how the rear brake parts all fit together, so I am very glad I fully documented Natasha in her 'before' stage. I have one small issue where I need to figure out how to make the brake lever return to it's original position after being pressed. There was a hefty spring doing that before, but now I have nowhere to attach the end to what with the passenger foot-peg mounting plates being absent. The lever does return to zero just now, using the force of the internal springs in the brake drum, but I rather wonder those will not be enough when actually out riding.
The final position of everything will be determined once Natasha is back on the floor again and I can see where my feet are when sitting on her in a regular riding position. I think my toes will be closer to the road than before so both levers will probably need to move down a few degrees.
Current hours on build: 164.0