Menu

Content

Breadcrumb

Set Backs

  • Written by
  • Build: Natasha
  • Read 2887 times
  • Print
  • Email
  • Share on Facebook
J. Sinclair/CONCEPIA LLC J. Sinclair/CONCEPIA LLC Nothing to say about this except it's pretty.

It's not often I leave from an evening's work on Natasha somewhat despondent. I have been working on her every night for the past ten days, and surviving on 4-5 hours sleep, so I guess it's only natural I hit a bit of a energy low when confronted with a problem. Two things happened this evening to knock the wind from my sails:

1) The surperglue I used to secure the LED's in the turn signal reacted oddly with the black plastic and now I'm left with a milky white turn signal. I've tried using the same black restorer I used on the OEM switch gear but to no success. I'll just have to see if I can carefully polish it out with the Dremel, without changing the texture too much. But I rather think I am going to have to start again. Poo.

2) The LED relay circuit board didn't work when I reconnected it to all the right wires. I spent forever checking and rechecking my wiring diagram to make sure I had not made any mistakes, but the LEDs don't light up as they should. Only in the last few minutes before giving up and going inside to bed did I discover one of the relay wires to be broken on the board, hidden from view by the spray on insulation. I really should have used stranded wire for those instead of solid core; too much flexing during installation caused that break. Trouble is it is covered in the insulation so it's going to be a pain fixing it. Boohoo.

Minor stuff really, but combined with my constant tiredness, made for a less than successful evening.

Aside from those set backs I did accomplished some things: I installed the new chain, but first I wiped off the excess grease that it came covered in. OMG, I know they want to protect their product from rust in case it sits for years on some shelf in an auto-part's store, but I think this was excessive. I actually used a degreaser to get it off; it stubbornly refused to be removed easily. (And I guess that was another issue that bummed me out: I ordered a chain that should have came with a split clip for easy installation, but this one requires a chain riveting tool, so I'm ordering another new tool today from Amazon. Only $60 and I'll definitely use it again somewhere down the line, but I would rather not have purchased it to begin with.) Once the chain was installed I could put back on the clutch cover and fix the cable into position with some tie wraps. And then I added both clutch and brake brackets to the handlebars. (I still have to polish the levers.) Then the lefthand grip could be installed using some hairspray as both lubricant and adhesive. Really, hairspray works a treat. I was fortunate to find a travel sized version so don't have a huge can loitering in my cupboard for the next year or so until I next need it.

Current hours on build: 158.0 

...Gallery Loading...

More in this category: « Slow & Steady Ya Beauty! »

Rebuilding, restoring, and recycling classic bikes into unique custom-made cafe racers.

 

Social Links


The Four Fifty

170 John Street

Friday Harbor, WA 98250

United States

(360) 298-2374

Log In or Register