Today's build entry isn't very exciting. I was repainting the clutch/brake levers/foot-pegs as they were seriously covered in rust. That came off pretty easily using the Dremel and flap wheel but what with the various convex contours made it near impossible to get totally rust free, so I made the decision to spray them flat black.
Painting isn't something you can really write much about. You clean, prepare, prime, and then paint. But then again if you start to think about the process and what you can do to improve your method you can get started down a rabbit hole of investigation. The internet is a scary place; you can get lost for days in various forums. I was just looking for an answer on whether or not I can/should bake my small parts after spraying with a Rustoleum product. And the resounding answer seems to be a yes. I read about painting AR15s, restoring Coleman gas stoves, as well as lots of classic/vintage car restoration forums. The trouble is always finding the right answer, as opposed to a million similar yet slightly inconsistent answers. So you do your best and make your own mind up.
What I need is a small toaster oven. Well, I actually have one but it's 2543 miles away in my storage unit on the island, so perhaps a trip to a local Goodwill store, or I'll just invest $18 at Walmart and get something like this. I've already put the primer and top coats on the clutch/brake levers/foot-pegs (although I haven't done the rear foot brake pedal; I totally spaced on doing that part as it is still in the storage box and out of plain sight.) so I'll just put the parts in for 30 minutes at 150F and see what happens, then let them cool slowly as the oven cools. A lot of the forums suggest baking between coats, so we'll see how this works. Perhaps I'll harden just the outer coat and everything else underneath will still be soft. Testing for hardness is subjective at this level; using your fingernail on somewhere unobtrusive. It certainly would be nice to be capable of powder coating these parts, but that's another process altogether.
Prior to painting I chopped off where the mirror would have screwed into the brake bracket; it was just too tall to leave in place. A few seconds with the reciprocating saw, then the bench top grinder to give it some nice curves, finishing off with a flap wheel on a Dremel and some 400 grit paper. Any imperfections at this stage would be taken care of by the layers of paint I put on. The opposite mirror mounting point on the clutch bracket is fairly small and I will just top it off with the appropriately sized bolt to cap the hole.
Current hours on build: 152.0