I think that part of rebuilding a motorcycle is not only restoring the original parts to their pristine state, but also taking the time to make them just a little bit better than when they left the factory.
The rear sprocket was in a sorry state; covered in ancient chain grease and beyond dirty, I took some time with my trusty brass brush and Purple Power (I have found this is to be far more effective at getting off stubborn grease/oil than some dedicated solvent type cleaners.) and scrubbed it clean. Getting the teeth clean required some power tool help and using my 2" wire wheel brush in a cordless drill made simple work of that job.
After a quick spin on the polishing machine it came up beautifully, but the old casting seams, those rough edges that are 'inside' of the sprocket were really difficult to get clean of the polishing compound. Once again my Dremel came to the rescue, and despite going through seven abrasive wheels to grind away the casting seams, I was pleased with the final result. Something that could have been easily done at the factory to create a much cleaner looking part, but I guess they deemed it unnecessary.
I decided to paint the sprocket mounting flange flat black to match the rest of the wheel, and like the front wheel, cleaned up the nuts, and their respective securing tabs, back to a polished state.
Now, with everything clean and polished, it was time to start putting Natasha back together. Even though I had kept all the pieces together from disassembly some parts were a little mixed up in their ordering. I gained an extra part to the rear wheel axle which made it very confusing trying to put it back onto the swing arm. I realized that I had forgotten to put that part back inside of the rear drum, once that was put in the right place, everything went back together smoothly.
After so much time looking at all the parts individually scattered around the workshop, it's kind of amazing to see things fitting back together as they should. Except now it all looks new. Except not quite new but reborn into something altogether quite different looking now. The next few days should be quite something.
Current hours on build: 95.0