It's been a busy few days. I removed the wheels and front forks off the bike. The new Kendra tires are being mounted and balanced, as well as the gas tank being resprayed, by Ron at North Hill Cycles. Really, my simple checkerboard design for this tank must be the simplest job he has ever done. To look at his custom choppers with such incredibly detailed airbrushed tanks, I know I am going to get some quality work back. He was very patient with me as we went though paint chips books looking for just the right shade of red. Nice guy.
I also have been cleaning up the crankcase covers. After about four hours careful hand sanding I have eliminated all the oxidization from the left hand side. I was using a Dremel for a little while, but the disks are so fragile and got frustrated changing them constantly; hand sanding is the way to go. I'm starting at 220 grade wet'n'dry paper and working down a couple of grades until I finish with a green Scotch-Brite pad.
FYI: I'm moving my polisher out of the truck as it created so much fluff flying around in the air that it felt like I was trapped inside a tumble dryer. So I'm going to make some sort of mount for the tailgate of my Tacoma truck and have it outside where there is plenty of fresh air. Once I have everything to the dull Scotch-Brite stage I'll get on with polishing. Also got to wait for the right day where the humidity isn't 100% and it's less than 80 deg F outside. Nothing to do with the process of polishing, just for me so I don't evaporate!
I flipped the engine on it's back and removed the oil sump. There is a tiny leak here so instead of replacing the paper gasket I am going to use a semi-flexible liquid gasket sealant (Permatex 82194 Ultra Grey Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker) to see if I can close it up. Just arrived today are the replacement gaskets for the crankcases and the new crankcase oilseal that I am replacing. I've been ordering things from BikeBandit.com but recently discovered Partzilla.com and have found their prices to be 20% cheaper. I've ordered new Suzuki crankcase badges from them. (I was going to restore the ones I have, but for $22 I can get two new ones, and you can't beat saving a few hours work.)
Finally I've been working on fabricating the new brackets for the rear suspension. I took the old ones and trimmed away the excess metal, and made four new pieces from 1/8" steel bar. One has a hole drilled through it for the bolt to pass through and the other will be flat to weld the bolt's body against. I'll have to trim to bodies to size as they both were different lengths, presumable because each side of the frame is subtly different. It's been more than tricky getting them lined up correctly in relation to the frame and to each other. I've preliminary tack welded one in place but I really need to wait for the tube to arrive to make the rest of the frame for the rear lights/license plate mount, before welding everything together. It'll take a bit of time to grind it all down and make it look pretty but the end result will be worth it.
Current hours on build: 28.5